Monday, March 14, 2011

Never say never...

Four years ago when I made my second quilt and got really upset because it took so long and those squares were never perfectly straight (cutting with my old not very sharp scissors...) I vowed to myself to never ever make a quilt again.
I didn't know that three years later I would purchase a cutting mat and a rotary cutter and get obsessed with making quilts...

So, last year when I was still making and selling handbags in my free time (I still do but the time for that is a bit more limited now :) ) I was thinking that never in a million years would I ever consider sewing a potholder. I mean, they are available at Ikea for 1€ why would I bother making one?
Do you see where I am going with this?


I saw this one and fell in love.
And now that I sewed together my project for the tutorial for the Quilted Fish I am free to use the rest of the fabric. Ah, potholder where have you been all my life! I might have spend more time in the kitchen and I might even be a better cook. But then again, I would probably just have a collection of potholders and spend all my time in front of the computer looking to grow my obsession :)
Tell me, have you ever thought that you would never ever do something only to find yourself doing that exact thing?

Vor recht genau vier Jahren habe ich an meiner zweiten Patchworkdecke gesessen. Es sollte ein Geburtstagsgeschenk werden, umso schlimmer, dass irgendwie kein Quadrat davon richtig gerade sein wollte. Meine unscharfe alte Stoffschere habe ich dann auch bald gegen eine neue ausgestauscht...
Jedenfalls habe ich mir in den mühsamen Stunden geschworen, nie wieder einen Quilt zu machen :)
Hätte ich damals gewusst, dass ich drei Jahre später dem Quiltwahn verfallen würde, hätte ich mich wohl schon vorrückt erklärt.

Letztes Jahr jedenfalls hätten mich keine zehn Pferde dazu bekommen, einen Topflappen zu nähen. Es gab zwar ganz nette bei Flickr, aber mal ehrlich: Ikea verkauft die für 1€, warum sollte ich Zeit und Anstrengung in etwas investieren, das ich dann sowieso nicht benutze?
Worauf ich hinaus will?

Ich habe diesen hier gesehen und wollte sofort auch einen machen!
Aus sofort sind zwar ein paar Monate geworden, aber die Topflappen haben schließlich das Licht der Welt erblickt :)
Aus meinen Sweet Divinity Resten, von denen ich nach Beendigung meines Projektes für the Quilted Fish einige habe :)
Ist Euch das auch schon passiert, dass Ihr felsenfest davon überzeugt wart, dass Ihr etwas nie machen wolltet, Euch aber Wochen oder Monate später genau dabei ertappt habt?


Einen schönen Start in die neue Woche!
Hope you have a great start into the new week!
Johanna

5 comments:

  1. Cute potholders! After making my first quilt with cardboard templates and scissors that was one of hte things I had sworn off... but look at me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. die seite von blue elephant stitch schau ich mir auch supergerne an.am meisten liebäugele ich ja mit dem hope valley quilt nach einem tutorial von cluck cluck sew.der sieht einfach toll aus .l.g. susanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh!!! Could you do a cute tutorial on those?? I LOVE them!!! What a wonderful idea! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute. Where did you find the pattern...or did you make it up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute potholder! I have been hoarding all my leftover fabric trying to figure out what I want to make with it! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Dankeschön für Deinen Kommentar!